Join Laurelle as she shows and tells some of her FAVORUITE perennials for the sunshine that also attract pollinators!
1. Nepeta Racemosa: A perennial herb. Small purplish flowers above aromatic grey green leaves. Blooms June to October. Shear after first bloom for second bloom. Great for rock gardens, borders and as a ground over. Plant in a well-drained soil area with full sun. H: 10-12″ W: 24″.
2. Centranthus Ruber: Dense clusters of fragrant, pink to red flowers bloom on bushy plant with clumping habit. Good cut flower. Attracts butterflies. Blooms June to September. Great for Borders, on slopes and walls. Plant in sandy, medium wet, well drained soil. Full sun. Somewhat drought tolerant. H: 18-36″ W: 12-24″.
3. Erigeron karvinskianus ‘Profusion’ a.k.a Mexican Daisy: A low mound of grey-green leaves that remain evergreen. Small yellow-eyed bright mauve-pink daises appear during late Spring and sometimes again in the autumn. Performs well in average rock garden conditions with good drainage. Zones 4-9. H: 8-12″ x W: 20″.
4. Millenium Allium: An outstanding performer, producing proiuse amounts of 2″ vivid purple blooms. Globe shaped flowers attract hummingbirds and butterflies, white foliage gives off a slight onion scent when crushed that defers deer, rabits and other garden pests. Zones 4-8. H: 15-20″, W: 10-15″.
5. Desert Eve Yellow Yarrow: A compact, early-blooming, variety with lemon-yellow flowers held above ferny foliage. The perfect size for containers, or at the front of a sunny border or butterfly garden. Good for cut bouquets, fresh or dried. The dried seedheads feed overwintering birds. Heat loving, waterwise, and seldom grazed by deer. An herbaceous perennial. Zones 4-9. H: 14-18″, W: 14-18″.
6. Goldsturm Black Eyed Susan: Easy to grow perennial having an exceptionally large flowerheads (3-5″ across) of golden yellow petals with black-brown centers. Full sun. Clusters of stems to 24″ tall, 18″ wide. Zone 3. H: 12-24″, W: 18-24″
7. Monarda ‘Bee-Happy’: Large, fluffy crimson blooms are wonderfully offset by deep green, highly fragrant foliage. Incredibly desirable to hummingbirds and butterflies. Can also enjoy using in your next cup of tea! Sun to part shade. Zones 4-9. H: 10-12″, W: 8-10″.